Removing performance analyzer plugin from opendistro docker

Is it possible to use the opendistro docker without the Performance Analyzer plugin? I attempted to validate this myself but ran into errors. First I created a custom docker image with the following Dockerfile:

FROM amazon/opendistro-for-elasticsearch:0.7.0

RUN elasticsearch-plugin remove opendistro_performance_analyzer --purge

Now when I build my image and run my docker, my container fails to start and I see the following error in the docker logs:

Error: could not find config file /usr/share/elasticsearch/plugins/opendistro_performance_analyzer/pa_config/supervisord.conf

I hunted around inside the docker but I don’t see any references to this file anywhere. I also wanted to check if there was any references to triggering the Performance Analyzer with supervisorctl from opendistro’s Dockerfile/entrypoint.sh file, but it seems that Amazon has not published their source code for the docker image.

Does anybody have any experience with running opendistro without Performance Analyzer successfully?

You are facing this because the /usr/share/elasticsearch/docker-entrypoint.sh directly makes a call to a program that is available under /usr/share/elasticsearch/plugins/opendistro_performance_analyzer without checking for its existence, which results in the error that you get.

If you really want to make it work, just create a new /usr/share/elasticsearch/docker-entrypoint.sh by removing the line /usr/bin/supervisord -c /usr/share/elasticsearch/plugins/opendistro_performance_analyzer/pa_config/supervisord.conf and modify the ES_JAVA_OPTS

FROM amazon/opendistro-for-elasticsearch:0.7.0

RUN elasticsearch-plugin remove opendistro_performance_analyzer --purge

COPY <path-to-new-docker-entrypoint.sh> /usr/share/elasticsearch/docker-entrypoint.sh

You can find this file on docker-entrypoint file on the docker instance.

But this is definitely an issue and will work on fixing this issue soon.