Configuring OSS Beats (File/Metric) with opendistro

Hi - We installed opendistro successfully and tried to do setup for filebeat/metricbeat for Linux & Windows both.

We downloaded right OSS beat packages as per other threads
https://artifacts.elastic.co/downloads/beats/metricbeat/metricbeat-oss-6.3.0-linux-x86_64.tar.gz
https://artifacts.elastic.co/downloads/beats/heartbeat/heartbeat-oss-6.3.0-linux-x86_64.tar.gz
https://artifacts.elastic.co/downloads/beats/filebeat/heartbeat-oss-6.3.0-linux-x86_64.tar.gz

ran following command
filebeat setup -e --dashboards --pipelines --template

We tried all versions 7.1.1 to 6.3.0

Error in console →

500 Internal Server Error: {“error”:{“root_cause”:[{“type”:“security_exception”,“reason”:“Unexpected exception indices:admin/get”}],“type”:“security_exception”,“reason”:“Unexpected exception indices:admin/get”},“status”:500}

Exiting: request checking for ILM availability failed: 500 Internal Server Error: {“error”:{“root_cause”:[{“type”:“security_exception”,“reason”:“Unexpected exception indices:admin/get”}],“type”:“security_exception”,“reason”:“Unexpected exception indices:admin/get”},“status”:500}

Error in Elastic search -

[2019-08-19T03:37:43,286][WARN ][r.suppressed ] [node-1] path: /_xpack, params: {index=_xpack}
org.elasticsearch.ElasticsearchSecurityException: Unexpected exception indices:admin/get
at com.amazon.opendistroforelasticsearch.security.filter.OpenDistroSecurityFilter.apply0(OpenDistroSecurityFilter.java:274) [opendistro_security-1.1.0.0.jar:1.1.0.0]
at com.amazon.opendistroforelasticsearch.security.filter.OpenDistroSecurityFilter.apply(OpenDistroSecurityFilter.java:119) [opendistro_security-1.1.0.0.jar:1.1.0.0]
at org.elasticsearch.action.support.TransportAction$RequestFilterChain.proceed(TransportAction.java:143) [elasticsearch-7.1.1.jar:7.1.1]
at org.elasticsearch.action.support.TransportAction.execute(TransportAction.java:121) [elasticsearch-7.1.1.jar:7.1.1]

Please help!!

1 Like

try to add into your winlogbeat configuration:

setup.ilm.enabled: false

also follow version compatibility:

Hi - does not help.
I wonder why OSS beat version sends xpack commands?

Anyone has gotten beats to work with opendistro?

It’s works well with opendistro.
Did you restart a winlogbeat service after changing config?

Thank you. It worked for winlogbeat
But does not work for any of the linux beats - file, audit, heart.
Any thoughts on that?

From what I understand this is telling you theres some sort of security enabled. Either xpack has been set up or you have users/passwords setup that are preventing the beat from accessing the indices. Check that any of those settings are set correctly and/or turned off. OSS is interesting because they wont talk to a non-oss stack from what I understand but non-oss beats can talk to an oss stack.

2 Likes

Same problem with Linux VMs:
According to this info : Troubleshoot - Open Distro Documentation

Anyone can show some examples of how to play with ssl things how to generate client .pem stuff !?

I’m still fighting the same error as you. But I did figure out making a client ssl to point at. Go back to where you configured security guard to generate your nodes and root-ca keys. Add the node you want a certificate for in the yml file. Then type searchguard/tools/sgtlstools.sh -crt -c ./search-guard.yml -t ./certs".
This assumes you have a copy of your root signing key in the directory certs