Trigger errors out with the message Error running action:\njava.net.UnknownHostException:xxx.net: Name or service not known

Hi folks,

Have a custom webhook that’s reachable from my ES domain. Have created an alarm that is triggered with an error message. To get more information about the error message, did a
GET .opendistro-alerting-alerts/_search
This gives the state of the trigger as ERROR and the error message is:
Error running action:\njava.net.UnknownHostException:xxx.net: Name or service not known

I understand that this message points that ES isn’t able to resolve the hostname but since I am using AWS ES, I cannot edit /etc/hosts
I can however successfully cURL and Postman and able to get a 200 from this endpoint
Please do note that the endpoint is:
xxx.net?api/am/ta/inbound_event?<condition_name>=<condition_event>
but the error is only
xxx.net: Name or service not known

Is Kibana not able to resolve what’s after the “?” or is there something that I am overlooking here? Any pointers will be really helpful!

Thanks!

2 Likes

Same problem here :

Error running action:
java.net.UnknownHostException: thehive.hidden.org: Name or service not known

how can I use IPs to create destinations or where i should map my IP to the domain name since i did it with /etc/hosts and curl worked fine ?

Help please

Hi!
I have the same trouble, I don’t have any special character like ‘?’ ‘/’ ‘=’ so I think they aren’t the problem. I can’t solve it. Anyone solved the problem or can help me?

Thanks