Kibana plugin dev against opendistro

Does anyone have any tips on setting up a dev environment for kibana plugin development against an opendistro-based cluster?

I’ve set up an upstream kibana dev environment and successfully built a test plugin but getting the upstream dev environment to talk to my opendistro cluster is giving me heartburn.

To anyone else trying to accomplish this:

After setting up an upstream kibana dev environment according to the instructions at https://github.com/elastic/kibana/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#setting-up-your-development-environment installing the opendistro_security plugins for elasticsearch and kibana will result in a plugin dev environment that can interact with an opendistro cluster for testing opendistro-specific functionality during development.

I am trying to accomplish similar thing but I haven’t yet been successful to do so. I have cloned the kibana repo and checked out v7.2.0 tag and bootstrapped kibana development environment. Then I installed opendistro for elasticsearch and the opendistro plugins. Then I modified tried to run the development server using yarn start --oss. But the following errors occur and the dev server is shutdown.

[17:37:36.978] [fatal][root] { Error: "opendistro_security.multitenancy.enabled", "opendistro_security.multitenancy.tenants.preferred", "opendistro_security.readonly_mode.roles", "opendistro_security.auth.type", "opendistro_security.openid.connect_url", "opendistro_security.openid.client_id", "opendistro_security.openid.client_secret", "opendistro_security.openid.base_redirect_url", and "opendistro_security.openid.scope" settings were not applied. Check for spelling errors and ensure that expected plugins are installed.
        at KbnServer._default (/home/faysal/kibanaDev/kibana/src/legacy/server/config/complete.js:98:17) code: 'InvalidConfig', processExitCode: 64 }

How do I solve this issue?